Saturday, May 14, 2011

Brussels

May 11
I write to you on our was to Paris...it's 816am here in Brussels. So you want me to tell about Brussels, right? Brussels, imagine a city where the center area, Grand Place, is a square surrounded with the most beautiful buildings with incredible architecture which leaves you wondering, "how in the world did people build these buildings with out any of our modern day equipment? how where they so talented?" I don't know that architects are that talented any more (well some are :)). People just build buildings as fast as they can to supply the demand of people. The architecture of the 16th-18th century is so intricate, I believe there will never be such architecture, ever. This is why people come to Europe, to awe on the beauty and history. The culture in Brussels is a lot richer,not in the sense of money, but in diversity, than the one in Amsterdam and there are a lot of Spaniards all over the city; which I enjoy cause I get to speak Spanish. I've been teaching Anthony to speak Spanish and he is doing so well. He is very smart and knows a lot, but I need to practice speaking with him.
Anyway, we got into Brussels around noon walked about 2 miles to get to our hotel with our packs on and only a banana and a cliff bar in our bellies. We were starving by the time we got in our hotel. Our hotel was nothing special, but it was decent for the price we paid and it wasn't too far from the main square. We walked around getting to know the are and found a little restaurant with a very vivacious Brazilian lady working. I ordered a light coke and Anthony an iced tea (it came in a bottle and tasted like soda tea, it was good), as appetizer we got garlic bread, but this wasn't the typical American garlic bread...I'm talking delicious bread with olive oil and fresh diced garlic. Our meals were delicious! It had my taste buds singing Hallelujah, haha! I ordered chicken with rice and Anthony ordered cannelloni. My chicken was so tender that it was falling off the bone and when took a bite of it, it literally melted in my mouth. It was marvelous! Anthony's cannelloni was a cheese wonderland, therefore it was the perfect meal for him. It came in a tin pot right out of the oven and the cheese was melted just right, he loved it.
Once we were done with lunch we walked around looking at the buildings and then on a mission to find the peeing boy of Brussels. Anthony wanted to take a picture of the boy peeing on his head...typical male. On our little mission we ended up finding the famous Leonidas, a chocolate store similar to Godiva except cheaper. In Leonidas was the waffle store. They have a display of all the different waffles you can have and well it was like nutella and waffle heaven! They have waffles with whatever topping you want basically. We got one too share and honestly it was a lot, but I could have had my own (I'm trying to help Anthony stay disciplined with his sweet tooth, therefore, I had to suffer by not getting my own lol). Ours had vanilla ice-cream, strawberries, nutella and the waffle, of course. The first bite of that deliciousness made me feel as if I were in a fairy tale and that waffle was my prince charming :) It was that good!! The waffle itself was amazing, so the combination was a sweet melody. After buying our waffle we realized that the peeing boy statue was right outside the chocolate store and next door was the Godiva store too. We got free samples of chocolate and it was too die for. I know, you are all completely judging me based on what I have told you I have ate, but I'm completely okay with that because sit was worth it. I would be a blimp if I lived here because I would be eating worthy-of-getting-fat food all the time haha. I would have to say the waffle eating experience was worth our trip to Brussels!
After gorging on all that food, we walked a little more and then went to our room to hang out. At around 8 we decided to go back out and sit in the main square and watch the sun go down (the sun doesn't go down until 915ish here and it comes up around 4am), it's wild. Watching the sun go down and the lights in those building turn on was incredible. It was great to just sit back next to my best friend and soak up all that beauty. No one in the world I would rather be here with :)

A blonde moment; Anthony and I were sitting on the bus talking about something being expensive and I said...."yeah, that would cost you an eye and a leg" and Ant said, "an eye and a leg" and I confidently said, "yes you have never heard that expression, babe?" Ant said, "well I've heard of an arm and a leg, but never an eye and a leg" and I just laughed and laughed (the way he hates that I laugh when I sway back and forth, cover my mouth and don't make a sound, type of laugh) and I said, "babe, you're right I'm an idiot, it's an arm and a leg not an eye and leg." I swear I thought I was right. Haha gotta love me :)

Hey guys it's Friday morning and today is our last day in Paris. I am really sad because we love it here, but we are looking forward to being in Pisa tonight. I probably won't be able to write everything I want to tell you about Paris by today, but I'll eventually get to it. I still haven't been able to tell post my last bit of journaling since there is no wi fi in this hotel. Anyway, we got in to Paris on Wednesday morning and got to exploring the city right away. Our hotel is literally a mile or less from the Eiffel tower, but it's not an expensive or fancy hotel. It's really simple and quiet. The door to get to our room actually opens up to a little front balcony and then there is another door to get to our room. It's really cutesy & we have enjoyed our stay. I'm glad we aren't the type of people that need to stay in 3 or 4 star hotels and I mean we couldn't with the budget we have anyway lol. We seedling so good staying with in budget and we hadn't really had to sacrifice too much. We have been eating at local little places or eating from the stands around the city that serve the real food. The most expensive meal we have had was here in Paris and it was worth it, but I'll tell you guys about that when I get there.

On Wednesday we got in around 1 in the afternoon from Brussels. We dropped our bags off at the hotel and started touring. Our first place was not the effiel, believe it or not we decided to leave that for later in the evening.

I'll write later!! So much to say about Paris :) it's been our favorite place so far!





No comments:

Post a Comment