Sunday, November 4, 2012

Picadillo...my way :)


I am embarrased to admit this, but I do not know how to cook much Spanish food. My mom never taught me growing up and although my aunt is an amazing cook; she was too impatient to teach me how to cook. With that said, this recipe may not live up to the typical Cuban Picadillo, but I still love it. It is delicious and it goes perfect with white rice; a total comfort food for me.

1 lb of beef (we use grass fed beef, but hey, you use what you want)
1 white medium onion (chopped into small pieces)
1 green medium bell pepper (chopped)
2 teaspoons of chopped garlic (about 4 cloves; I buy my garlic already chopped)
1/2 cup of beef stock
3/4 cups of diced tomatoes (you can also use tomato sauce)
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of cumin
salt and pepper to taste 
2 small potatoes (peeled and diced into small cubes)
olive oil
8-10 green olives*


1. Place olive oil in a pan and sauté the onion, green pepper and garlic until tender.
2. While the onion, green peppers and garlic are sautéing, mix the meat in a bowl with the cumin and oregano.
3. Once the veggies have sautéed, add the beef, beef stock and tomatoes. Let it simmer for 15 minutes on medium to low heat.
4. Add the diced potatoes. Cook for another 15-20 minutes.

*(If you want to add olives, this would be when you add them and cook for another 10 minutes to allow the flavors to settle. I don't add any because I don't like them, but it is a big component to the recipe.)
5. Serve over white rice and enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment