Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Update!


I haven’t had the time to blog in the past few days. It has been a little hectic with visiting the children at the transition house, getting Max on a good schedule and Anthony leaving us behind. Therefore, the events I will be discussing won’t be in exact order, but I will try to stay on topic.

First, the transition house. I have mentioned in previous post, the transition house is gorgeous and the children are the sweetest. Right now there are about 10 babies and 13 children between the ages of 2 to 13. Anthony and I went to visit them on Thursday and Saturday to get to know them better. Anthony played with the older children while I played with the babies. Apparently Anthony gave them a run for their money in soccer, who would have thought. Speaking of soccer, on Sunday there was a huge soccer game going on, Ethiopia versus South Africa. It was amazing to hear all the chanting when Ethiopia scored the first goal, but you would have thought they had just won the world cup the way they yelled and screamed when the last goal was scored with only 5 minutes of overtime left. Once Ethiopia won the game, they were honking, yelling, dancing and whistle blowing galore. Back to the transition house, the nannies who take care of the children are very sweet and loving. Nanny Hiwot is my favorite. She speaks perfect English and her main priority are the babies who have been placed under her care. The older children are very sweet and willing to learn English and teach Amharic. The babies just want to be loved and held. The nannies truly do their best at loving on them, but with so many babies and not enough nannies there is a gap and I am glad to be able to love these children along side. The children fell in love with Anthony or should I say they fell in love with his muscles and his blue eyes. Anthony spent a lot of his time teaching the children about the United States and the places they would live. I spent time teaching the children the English words for body parts. It was hilarious when I asked them where were their feet and they pointed towards their face, confused I said, “no, your feet are here and pointed at my feet.” There faced filled with confusion which then turned into laughter as we realized in Amharic the word ‘feet’ (possibly not spelled the same) means face. From then on, the children remembered feet and they laughed every time.


Second, the Sheraton. We decided to visit the Sheraton here in Addis because everyone kept telling us it was a must see while you are in the city. We were amazed at how gigantic and extravagant it is, truly. I felt weird being in a place so over the top in a country where children walk the streets in the same clothes they wore a week ago. The poverty in countries like this one humble me. It keeps me from accumulating a million things for my house which I will never use. Places like this remind me of how important organizations like Africa Windmill Project and Market Colors are and why we should continue to invest in them. It isn’t about feeling good and giving to the poor; it is about helping them become self sufficient with what resources they have and along the way us teaching and encouraging them. I really don’t think opening a five start Sheraton in a country/city like this one is necessary, makes me sad.

Third, Anthony leaves Max and I. Saturday night was difficult. Imagining myself with out my husband was hard, but now, on day 4 of being without him, I am focused. I am trying to enjoy every second of my stay here and making the best of the process. I have met many wonderful families who have walked the same walk as Anthony and I. It is extremely encouraging to hear their story and know we are not alone in this thing. If there is one thing I have learned this week it’s adoption is a hard process, but truly a gift. I still find it crazy how in love I am with this little guy; he really did grow in my heart. Since Anthony left, I have spent a lot of time loving the children at the transition house. Yesterday, Tuesday, I took two of the older boys out for pizza and they were so happy. They stuffed their faces and when I told them they could take the left overs with them to eat later you would think I had told them they had won the lottery. These kids are so thankful for the smallest of gestures, gestures that most kids in the US would take for granted. I can only hope Anthony and I can raise Max to be as humble and thankful as these children. Children who have been robbed of their youth, suffered abandonment and have never felt the love of a mother and father. It breaks my heart to think of these things. I know sometimes I am an extremist with my thoughts, but it just makes me sick to think of all the material things children are used to getting back home when we can minimize just a little bit and make a difference with all that money. We should open our eyes to the world out there and stop blinding ourselves to the poverty in the world, even in our own backyards. Check out these organizations we are involved with if you are interested in helping make just a small change:

Lastly, Max and I. Max and I are doing well. We are keeping busy and doing lots of bonding. I would lie if I said it was all roses and unicorns, but it really is better. Lots of prayers, grace and love is required! He is sleeping better at night and I have found that making a fool of myself in front of him really makes him happy. Like when I am getting dressed I dance like a fool or make crazy faces and he just giggles away. His smile and laughter is so contagious, we typically end up laughing together. I have a method for everything. At night, I leave the bottles ready to go (just have to add water) at night and the diapers all by my side. When I shower I sit him in the bumbo and sing worship songs and make crazy faces which makes him smile and look at me in awe. Good thing I know he isn't deaf otherwise I'd think he was because my signing is atrocious; bless his little heart :) he obviously loves his momma. 

I will try to keep y'all more in the loop. It's crazy with it being just me. Pray the process goes fast! Thanks for all the prayers, calls and text. I love you all dearly!




No comments:

Post a Comment