Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bath & Stone Henge

Yesterday was a great day, it was long, but very worth it. We got into London at around 10 in the morning and it was raining. The funny thing is it hadn't rained in London in about 10 weeks and suddenly the day Anthony and I decide to go...it rained. It wasn't raining too bad, it was more of a sprinkle, but it was dark and gloomy (the rain didn't last very long though). We decided to tough it out and walk to Buckingham palace where the changing of the guards was about to take place. What an experience that was. Do you know that those guards stand there guarding the palace for 24 hours? They get replaced every day at 1130 am. That's pretty wild. I do have to admit that they do things rather funny and a little sloppy compared to how American soldiers do their change at the tomb of the unknown soldier. Anthony thought it was funny when they stomped their feet and made their funny sound (sounds like an obnoxious cough). Overall, it was a great experience and a little crazy knowing that in that same palace a few days ago prince William and princess Kate had their first kiss. After Buckingham palace we walked through St.James park, which was gorgeous, there are lawn chairs all around and people can have picnics with their families as young artist play their instruments or sing a ballad. From this park you can see Big Ben peeping through the trees....it's an amazing place to just sit back, enjoy your surroundings and the beauty that God has created.
After St. James park we went to the National Gallery in Trafalgar square where we saw paintings upon paintings of the Baroque period and other periods too, but mainly Baroque. The most impressive painters in the gallery were Rembrandt and Renoir. Anthony loved this part of our day because he loves art so much (he is really excited about going to the Vann Gogh museum in Amsterdam.) From trafalgar square we had lunch at a restaurant called Chando's which is an old opera house which has now opened a bar downstairs. We had great food and it wasn't too expensive either. I had cottage pie with peas and carrots and Anthony had Bangers and Mash (sausage and mashed potatoes). I laughed when he choose his food...I genuinely thought he had ordered it based on the name it self. The food was delicious and the atmosphere wasn't shabby either. We were both very full by the end of our lunch and Anthony didn't ask for food the rest of day until supper.
My favorite part of London has got to be the building Big Ben is attached too. The architecture and detail of this building leaves you absolutely mesmerized. How can people, like you and I, make such a masterpiece with such detailed work in a building so huge? God definitely granted them with abilities beyond what I could ever do, or for that matter, ever fathom. The London Eye was so tiny compared to the huge thing I had imagined. I wasn't very impressed and the London Bridge really was blah. I don't even know how it became famous, the bridge across from it was more beautiful and that bridge is typically confused as the London Bridge and I can see why.
Being in London is a little overwhelming...very similar to NYC. The lifestyle is very go, go, go (well one thing is different, people are nicer here than in NYC), but seriously the tubes get so full that people have to wait for two or three tubes to go by because it's so crowded. It was ridiculous and Anthony was not a happy camper because he gets claustrophobic so we sat around waiting for a tube that wasn't very full.
For dinner last night we had homemade chicken tenders, home-grown cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce. We are getting really spoiled here with Bob and Anna. They take care of us so much and it will be hard to be without them when we leave tomorrow night. I can't believe that we have been in England for three days already...time is flying by!

Today we went to Stone henge and Bath and all I can tell you is that it was breath taking. Let's face it, stone henge isn't anything over the top, but the mystery and history behind it is mind blowing. The audio tour makes it worth while too because it tells you things that you didn't know about the stones and why the stones are placed a certain way. Honestly, I was in awe just thinking about how the stones got there and what it is that these stones represented to the people that placed it there. Anthony really enjoyed today...you could just see it in his eyes how excited he was to be there and to learn about the history of this pre-historic monument.
Bath was definitely breath taking! I literally had my mouth open in AWE the whole time. It was just the most amazing view I have ever seen in my life (that is until we get to Florence and Rome). The architecture in Bath is flawless. Everything is symmetrical and perfect and beautiful. The buildings are all made of limestone or red brick and they all just look exactly alike which makes it more beautiful and breathtaking. While in Bath, we saw the Roman baths and it was so cool. Don't worry I have taken lots of pictures to make sure that I get everything that I may possibly forget (doubt I will, but hey you never know.) we leave to Amsterdam tomorrow night on a ferry...we will sleep on the ferry over night. We are both really excited about that!
I am really excited about the remainder of our trip, but I feel like it's going so fast and I want to make sure we are both enjoying it to the fullest. This trip is something we have been planning for so long; ever since we started dating. We always said we wanted to go to Europe on our 1 year anniversary and it's crazy that we have actually been able to do it. I still have my moments of, "should we have saved the money we are spending on this trip to buy a house?" But honestly, I just don't know if a house will ever make up for the feeling and memories that this trip is filling us with. I know that may sound immature or not smart, but I'm okay with that. I know it's hard for our family and friends to understand why we do things the way we do or why we spend our money the way we do, but its our money and our life.Yes, we eventually want to buy a house and have children, but right now that's not our plan (I have realized that Anthony and I just aren't the type to have a plan & I'm starting to get used to that). Our only plan is to love each other unconditionally and to make the most of what we have been given. We want our life's to be filled with wonderful memories we have shared through out the years and not the big house we have, but aren't able to do anything else. We refuse to let material things get in the way of enjoying our life's. Honestly, I could just rent a house for the rest of my life and be completely okay with that. Both Anthony and I feel that from this trip our marriage is growing and getting stronger. There is absolutely no one in this world I would rather share this with than with him!
Sorry, I went on a rant there...I just want everyone to understand why we do what we do. & we want people in our life's to be happy for us and not bash us for the things we enjoy doing. People live life differently and I'm okay with being different and not living that typical "have 2.5 children and live in a white fenced house." Eventually we will get there and I'm pretty sure even when we do get there it won't be what everyone wanted us to do. So therefore I say, do what makes you happy because regardless of what you do...not everyone will be happy for the decisions you make.




No comments:

Post a Comment