Thursday, May 5, 2011

Our first day in England

Yesterday we arrived in England at around 830 in the morning. Our flight from New York to London got cancelled; we flew into Manchester first with a connecting flight to London. It wasn't too bad considering we got to see a little bit more of England than we had anticipated. Our flights were very long, with little sleep; why would American make their seats so tight and so close? Just doesn't make any sense to me...I sat squished between Anthony's big arm and a big man from Birmingham, England. He was very nice and quiet, but whenever he did try to speak to me I could not understand anything he was saying. I literally smiled when he smiled and giggled when he giggled. I remember Anthony asking me, "what did he say to you that was so funny?" and I said, "honestly, I have not even the slightest idea." :) Being around people with British accents makes me feel as though I'm in a Harry potter movie all the time...it's pretty amazing :). I wanna speak like them so badly, but I don't sound anywhere as cool as they do. Instead, I sound like a Hispanic with a thick hick accent lol.

Anyway, once we got to Heathrow we took the underground to Victoria and from Victoria we went to Faversham where Anthony's family lives. We got a little lost along the way and a little aggravated as well, but we got in safely. We got picked up by Anthony's uncle Bob (he really is Anthony's grandmothers cousin...I'm not really sure what he is to Anthony, but I'll call him Uncle Bob.) Uncle Bob and his wife Anna are the most sweetest people I have ever met; they are also the most hospitable people too. They greeted us as if they had known us for years and immediately got us drinks and made us feel at home. They are an older retired couple who enjoy traveling, gardening and fishing. They gave us a tour of their cute house...it really is cute and it's perfect for them too. You walk in through the back door where they have the most beautiful garden filled with herbs and vegetables that they grow. They grow their own lettuce; it looks so delicious I can just eat it from the ground..that's how good it looks. They have poppy flowers (you know the flowers that opium and heroin is made from), pretty crazy ehh? Honestly, the best part of the house is the hill it's on because it gives such an amazing view. It's absolutely gorgeous! You can see the view from the kitchen while you are cooking supper...I would do the dishes all the time if I had a view such as this one at home. Speaking of the kitchen, Anna made us the most delicious supper with the simplest of ingredients. It felt so great to eat so organic, but yet delicious. She made apple & cinnamon chicken, with potatoes, and cauliflower. Bob decided to bring out this strawberry and watermelon wine which was spectacular. It was just an amazing supper accompanied with great conversation and people. What more can you ask for when in a foreign country? It's been just one day and I feel like I have been here for weeks. I love it here....I just wanna stay.

Today we are headed to London. I am typing this on the train headed towards Victoria station...the station where there is so much going on. It's like what you see in movies. It's pretty amazing. As I look out the window right now I see the green beauty of the country side, but also the old brick houses you imagine to see in a country as old as this one. As I listen to the conversations on the train I realize that there are so many languages being used, but also so many different accents and dialects of English, it's so interesting. It's amazing. No other word to explain how I feel. Can't wait to see what else today brings...I'll write on my way back :).


1 comment:

  1. Wow ...amazing! I envy y'all ... seeing all that history! Tell Bob and Anna we said hello and let them know they are welcome here anytime! Love y'all much!!!

    ReplyDelete