Saturday, August 31, 2013

Chicken and Smoked Sausage Jambalaya

Life as a parent is joyful and crazy exhausting. I have never seen the clock flash the obscene numbers it has in the past few weeks. Being this had been the case for many weeks (Max, in the past week, has been sleeping between 9-11 hours straight) and my sleep was very limited I decided to seek different recipes on the web and magazines. I had a few requirements for my recipes, you know the usual: easy to make, not too time consuming, flavorful, filling (Anthony can eat for 4) and semi-healthy. It was challenging, but I managed to get my hands on a few (really great) recipes. This recipe, by far, is Anthony's favorite and I cannot blame him. I made some changes from the original recipe to make it healthier and easier. 

1 Rotisserie chicken (pick one up on the way home)
1lb andouille chicken sausage, about 7 links (much healthier than regular smoked sausage)
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 (10 oz) cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles (do not drain)
1 cup of water
1 (14-1/2 oz) can of chicken stock
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of cajun seasoning
2 cups of uncooked rice (I have also made it with quinoa)

1. Since I decided to use the rotisserie chicken I had to pull the chicken off the bone and shred it into bite size pieces. Set aside.

2. Cut the sausage into 1/4 inch slices. Cook for 5 minutes in a dutch oven on medium heat. Add the chopped green peppers and onions. Cook until the peppers and onions are tender.

3. Stir in the next five ingredients; bring to boil, stir occasionally. Once boiling, add the rice and chicken. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.

 I love this recipe. You can add a little bit of cilantro to add flavor or as simple garnish.








Enjoy,

Kay C.

No comments:

Post a Comment