Friday, April 1, 2011

My little Saidi :)

Last year, as many of you may know, I went on a missionary trip to Africa and it has been one of the most influential trips of my life. It has changed my life and in many ways Anthony's life. I would have never thought that one trip could change my life, but it has.
When I first decided to go to Africa, my thought was "I could go to Africa and change these people's life forever!" How silly was I to think I could go to there and change people. Well when I got there, as I took in every thing around me, I started
to pray and I asked God so many questions...one of them being, "Lord, why am I here?" It took me a long time to realize why I was there. I was there because I needed it. I was there because I needed to learn to be a good wife. I was there because I was a lost sheep. I was there because I loved God. I was there because I needed to learn to be humble. I was there because I need to so many things that I didn't know I needed. The past I have had with relationships and family had messed me up in the head and I didn't REALLY know how to love, until after I went to Africa. It wasn't until Africa that I really learned to love myself, Anthony and God.
Most importantly, in Africa I met Saidi. Saidi is the sweetest little boy in the world. Him and his brother Julius are such great partners :). They spend so much time together and they love Christ! How awesome is that? A 5 year old who love Christ and knows about him? AMAZING! When I met Saidi he was wearing dirty clothes, as if he had never owned any other, didn't have any shoes on, he looked so sad and he was very shy. He wouldn't talk to me or even look into my eyes, so I made it my personal mission to talk to him and get to know him. By the end on my trip we were playing soccer, laughing and just having a good time. He was just amazing...it was at that point that I started contemplating smuggling him in my luggage :). I was really sad that I had to say by to Saidi, but I made myself a promise that I would take care of him! I knew I couldn't make a difference in all the African people, but I wanted to make a difference in this little boys life. As soon as I got home I sent him clothes and shoes and it was so great to get a picture of him wearing the clothes I got him.
I mean look at him doesn't he look so handsome?! Thinking back, I was never intended to go to Africa to change people life....it was me who changed. And I am so grateful for that....so if you ever get the opportunity to go.....GO because it will change your life forever!!
I really wish I could adopt Saidi, but unfortunately all I can do is send him money every month for his food and school since Malawi's laws are so strict with adoption. Anthony and I plan on sponsoring Saidi for as long as we can and we hope it makes a difference in his life. If by chance any of you are interested in going to Africa or sponsoring a kid let me know....there are so many kids that need sponsors.


No comments:

Post a Comment